Lets look at an example from the Bible of one who actually has built multiple income streams. After 30+ chapters of Proverbs the last chapter gives us a glimpse of what it looks like when these precepts are put into action.
We will go and pay a visit to the entrepreneur found in Proverbs 31. This enterprising individual was apparently the wife a city elder in Israel. Her name is not revealed. She worked primarily from home since she had a household to care for. She has built multiple streams of income while caring and running her household. Lets take a look at some of her ventures.
- “She considers a field and buys it” ~ so she is a real estate investor. The term “considers” indicates that careful thought was taken as to the economic value of this property and its ability to suit her needs. She knows the market, the quality of the property and what it is best suited for.
- “Out of her earnings she plants a vineyard.” So notice that her income from other sources does not languish but is put to work. She is in agriculture, more specifically grape production, perhaps wine. No doubt she has researched her market and found a need in her area for this particular product.
- “She selects wool and flax and works with eager hands.” We are not told if this is a business venture or for her family but she produces what appears to be some items of clothing using wool and flax.
- “She sees that her trading is profitable and her lamp does not to out at night”. So she is involved in some type of trading. And, it produces a profit for her. Perhaps the lamp burning at night is preparation for her trading the following day?
- “She makes linen garments and sells them and supplies the merchants with sashes.” This may be one or two ventures, it is difficult to tell by the verse. But she runs a wholesale operation with regard to her sashes since they are sold to other merchants. With regard to the linen garments she makes and sells them. Linen apparently a much higher quality product then her other work with wool and flax.
She does not accomplish all this alone. She has “servant girls” or in today’s world employees. What their role was in the household is not clear. Do they handle the business end or the household end? I’m guessing there was no sharp dividing line between the two so they handled many of the routine tasks that did not require the skill that our entrepreneur possessed.
I’m sure she did not start out with a staff of servants but has carefully added key people as her businesses have prospered.
Notice that none of these ventures is at the expense of her care for her family, for “she watches over the affairs of her household.” Nothing misses her gaze. She knows what is going on with each family member, their activities, their needs, their plans.
So what about it? What’s holding us back? Whether you are male or female, what is not to like about this model of the many streams of income? Will you start working towards it in the coming weeks and years? My Path to Wisdom is to read and study these Proverbs and then trust in the Lord and let him direct my steps in making these a reality in my own life.
I can’t wait to get started!